Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (R.C.I.A.)
The RCIA is a journey toward full initiation into the Catholic faith. It is a faith journey of alternating periods and steps. The four periods prepare participants for the four subsequent steps into the great tradition of the Catholic Church.
- Period of Inquiry
- First Step: Rite of Acceptance
- Period of Breaking Open the Word
- Second Step: Rite of Election
- Period of Purification and Enlightenment
- Third Step: Celebration of the Easter Sacraments of Catholic Initiation
- Period of Mystagogy
The RCIA is a journey of invitation and initiation not indoctrination. Throughout the journey, you are encouraged to prayerfully discern if God is calling you to continue.
The RCIA is intended for:
- Those who have never been baptized in a faith tradition
- Those baptized in a faith tradition other than Catholic
- Those baptized Catholic as infants who have been inactive since that time and have not received the Sacraments of Eucharist and Confirmation
You are welcome to explore the RCIA journey at any time:
If you have questions or want to begin the RCIA journey, please contact Jan Grosschadl, Director of Religious Education at 414-453-5344 ext. 116.